Monday, October 19, 2009

I'm feeling lucky

I listened to The Today Show this morning while I was blow-drying my hair. Maria Shriver was on and was saying that less than 30% of children have a stay-at-home parent.

I feel so incredibly lucky to be one of those stay-at-home parents! I love being there for my children. I love doing fun, creative things with them.

I did work outside of the home for the first 13+ years of my marriage. Brakston was 11 before I was able to stay home full-time. I was so grateful that I was able to be at home throughout his teenage years.

I am definitely one of those people that thinks it's more important to be home for your teens than even for your young ones. I think my being home helped keep Brakston out of trouble. It also forged a strong bond between us.

As my girls are in or reaching their teenage years, I am feeling blessed to still be able to be home with them. I like greeting them at the door when they get home. I like seeing them off with a hug and kiss when they leave in the morning.

Now, if I just liked nagging them to practice the piano and empty the dishwasher...

2 comments:

  1. i saw that too! and as much work as it is to be a sahm, i do love it. and i am happy when the kids come home from school.
    at least, most of the time...
    i have to say we were blessed because chris and i didnt get married young (by utah standards) and he had finished his education and had a job that had the potential to support us when we had kids.
    and being a sahm lets me nap. what more reason to be one than that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the chances, I never have the TV on in the morning but I caught the same clip. I was shocked by the numbers. I am so blessed to be home to love my babies, what a nice reminder of how lucky I am. This is exactly what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete