Monday, October 5, 2009

FALL = SOUP!

One of the great things about Fall, and there are many, is that it is soup weather! I love soup!

I am so excited because I found TWO delicious new recipes that my family loved and that used the harvest from my garden. How great is that?

First, I found a recipe for zucchini soup in The Deseret News. No, don't groan about the zucchini! The soup was wonderful! It tasted just like a creamy potato soup. My sister and I had it along with our children and another sister's children. EVERY one of them liked it! (you can't beat that)

Zucchini Soup
3 pounds zucchini (8-9 cups of chunks)
1/2 medium onion, cut into chunks
2 t salt
2 cans condensed chicken broth
1 can water
1 1/2 C half-and-half cream or 2% milk
1/2 t pepper

Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil and cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Puree in small batches in blender. Return to pan and add cream or milk and pepper. Reheat and serve.
*Cook's note: I used evaporated milk. This would also be good if you added cooked potato chunks, clams, broccoli, or cheese.


Second, I tried a Tuscan Tomato Soup recipe that I saw on "Good Things Utah". It was yummy and filling.

Tuscan Tomato Soup
2 large onions, diced small
3 T olive oil
5 C tomatoes (peeled and seeded then diced)
2 C chicken broth
1 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
1 C basil pesto
salt and pepper to taste

Cook onions in olive oil over moderately low heat until onions are completely translucent. Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream and pesto and then puree in blender. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
*Cook's note: I only used 1/2 C basil pesto so the flavor would be milder. (I wanted my children to like it.)

1 comment: