Thursday, October 29, 2009

a mother's dream

Brakston has now been in the mission field for 9 months. I got a letter from him yesterday - normally a very happy, joyous occasion. Yesterday's letter was different. He said the words I'm sure every mother wants to hear - NOT!

He said, "I love my mission so much I'm never coming home."

Yep, the words I've always dreamed of hearing a son say... The words that make 9 months of heartburn, insomnia, morning sickness, and weird food cravings worth it. The words that justify umpteen hours of labor pains. The payoff for sleepless nights of worry and stress. The satisfaction I get for baking hundreds of dozens of cookies for him over the years, fixing meals, doing his laundry (oh wait, he did his own laundry, but I digress...)

Still, he WILL be coming home. I do Jazzercise with an Italian who "knows people." I'm just saying.


--scrappinsoccermama is actually glad he is enjoying his mission and wouldn't have it any other way

5 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post! I feel the mama love and angst and understand...well, as much as I can with my two boys being only 6 and 2 yrs old. (easy for me to say, right?)

    I read once that there is an epidural for when you have a baby. But no epidural for the pain in your heart when your child leaves to serve a mission.

    I, too, served a mission, so I hope someday as a mama who sends her children off on missions, to understand both sides of that happiness and pain. Missionaries feel it, too. They sometimes just don't say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: You look way too young to have a son on a mission!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the epidural analogy and thanks for the nice compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats right! i will make one call to my uncle geno and you will be home asap my little missionary friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you give me hope:) hee hee an Italian:)

    ReplyDelete