Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Material Girls

I realized something new about myself last week. Uh oh. I better back up. Let's see, I have always had this odd fascination with paper and paper products. I honestly have a love affair with brand new sharp pencils and paper clips and notebooks. I feel about Staples like most girls feel about the mall or like my son, Brakston, feels about all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets.

I began scrapbooking about 16 years ago. It seemed like a hobby that was tailor-made for me. All that paper and glue and scissors and tape! Senses tingling...aaahhhh, bliss!

I realized this week that it is not just about the office-type supplies, it also has to do with patterns (i.e. pretty patterned paper) and how you put those patterns together.

The reason I came to this realization is I went to a new store (at least new for me) called Material Girls Quilts in South Jordan. I went in looking for something in particular (a Christmas something that I don't want to talk about and ruin surprises) and I found I was in Heaven! All those patterns and pretty fabrics just waiting to be arranged! It actually made me want to...GASP!...sew. Yes, truly, I found myself with a desire to quilt or sew or somehow own and arrange these fabrics in wonderful ways!

I probably should have realized this earlier because for Christmas I did sew my mom a patchwork tote bag. I loved it and loved the fabrics so much that I have since made 2 more for my sister-in-laws birthdays. This is a surprising fact because I have never enjoyed sewing. My wonderful mother used to do all my unpicking for me because she didn't want me to get too frustrated, and now I actually want to sew?!?

I guess stranger things have happened. (maybe just not in my life)

2 comments:

  1. You are a great seamstress! I love my bag and use it all the time. I have actually had to hide it from Maggie! I can't believe you're thinking about Christmas......ummmm, I guess I can believe it. You're pretty organized:)
    See you Sunday, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Marvelle - Start quilting!!

    ReplyDelete