Friday, April 10, 2009

temple worship

It seems appropriate to focus on temple work since I felt that General Conference focused on temples. Here is another quote on temple work from the book "Temple Worship: 20 Truths that Will Bless Your Life" by Andrew Skinner. This quote, I must admit, scares me a little.

"Sister Susa Young Gates...once asked her father (Brigham Young) how it would ever be possible to accomplish the great amount of temple work that must be done, if all are given a full opportunity for exaltation. He told her there would be many inventions of labor-saving devices, so that our daily duties could be performed in a short time, leaving us more and more time for temple work. The inventions have come, and are still coming, but many simply divert the time gained to other channels, and not for the purpose intended by the Lord." (Archibald F. Bennett,Improvement Era, Oct. 1952)

I realize I am the beneficiary of many time-saving labor devices. Do I devote enough time to the temple? I feel I try. I really try to go to the temple once a week besides working in the baptistry (I am not 100% successful, but I try). Still, this quote really makes me think.

I have decided that I am only going to the temple enough if it is a little bit difficult, if I have to stretch and sacrifice a little to do so. Several years ago, I felt I was really stretching to go once a month. Then, a couple years later I decided to "stretch" and go 18 times during the year. The very next year, the prophet encouraged us to double our temple attendance. I moaned a bit about why couldn't this have come before I did 18 times during the year but I did the 36 times during the year and found it really wasn't so hard. So, the following year I decided to go every week. Then I decided to also become a temple worker. I don't know whether it becomes easier as it becomes a habit or if the Lord keeps blessing me to make it easy. However, after reading this quote, I know it's time to "stretch and sacrifice" a bit again. Maybe I can add one full-day in the temple each month.

It really seems to be such a small sacrifice when I compare it with those in other countries who sell their homes or go without food one meal a day for a year in order to afford to go. So, I have to give up a little reading time. Not such a big sacrifice, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment