Thursday, April 16, 2009

tax day and sex abuse

What does it say about Americans that post offices all over the country stay open until midnight on April 15th so that people can file their income taxes? I mean, I can put off what I dislike doing with the best of them but this takes it to the extreme. What is wrong with the deadline being April 15th at 5 pm (or whatever time the post office normally closes)? As a nation, we don't just abide procrastination, we encourage it by making it possible to file the taxes at the last possible minute (literally).

On a totally unrelated subject, kudos to Miss Iron County, Erika Hansen, for her platform. She chose child sexual abuse as her platform having herself been abused for 7 years by her stepfather. It is such a difficult subject and not an easy one to talk about but one that desperately needs to be addressed. Some estimates are that 1 of 3 girls and 1 of 6 boys is sexually abused. Talking to people I know, I sometimes wonder if these statistics aren't still too low. I believe Ms. Hansen deserves recognition and a big pat on the back for helping to make it okay for young people to stand up for themselves. If even one person gets the courage to report their abuser, I think it is worth it. Go, Miss Iron County! You've got a fan in me!

2 comments:

  1. That is one brave woman I find even saying the word sex abuse makes me squemish. I wish we could all be so brave, the world would be a better place if we could bring this epidemic into the light. How many hearts that have carried pain that they didn't need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im right there with you and taxes. just do it. i think waiting is just dumb.
    i think it is time for people to start standing up to things that make people squirm a bit. maybe then more will do something about it.
    thanks for the post marvelle!

    ReplyDelete