Friday, April 24, 2009

soccer

I did not grow up with soccer. Football and basketball were THE big sports in my high school and I'm not sure I even knew a single thing about soccer except you kicked a ball. Now, it is one of my favorite sports. I know all the rules (I've even taken a referee class and even coached a recreation team). I have watched hundreds (maybe thousands) of games over the last 15 years! At times, it seems as though my life revolves around soccer games, soccer practices, and soccer tournaments. At least one child in my family always seems to be needing new cleats. Brakston went through goalie gloves every few weeks (or at least it seemed like it). When you're involved in competitive soccer, there really is no off-season. Summer is tryouts, tournaments, and practices. Fall and spring are practices and league play. Winter is indoor soccer and futsal.

I decided long ago that the benefits of my children playing soccer (something they LOVE with a passion) far outweighed the financial and time expense on my part. Here are some of the benefits:

1) They learn teamwork. No one can play soccer on their own. You have to learn to rely on others and work together.

2) They learn respect. Referees make mistakes and it can be frustrating. You have to learn to respect their decision as final and not get too upset. You also have to learn respect for your coach and your teammates.

3) They learn hard work. Coaches expect the players to work hard at every practice and in every game. Players also have to work hard to stay in shape (especially during the winter months).

4) They learn responsiblity and sacrifice. My children have missed birthday parties and fun outings with friends because their team was counting on them being at the game.

5) They are physically fit. Soccer involves lots of running and movement.

6) They have a sense of belonging. They are a member of something. They have an identity. They proudly proclaim "I am a soccer player." When Brakston reached high school, he had a built-in group of friends.

7) They gained self-esteem and confidence. They found something they could do and do well. As they learned and mastered new skills, their confidence grew.

--scrappinsoccermama is proud to be called a soccer mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment