Sunday, February 26, 2012

In Stephen Covey's book "7 Habits of Highly Effective Families", he gives some advice on parenting that I've always tried to take to heart - basically, that you don't try to live your life through your children.

At times, I have found this difficult because my children are so much MORE than I ever was/will be. They are:
  • MORE spiritual
  • MORE popular
  • MORE athletic
  • etc

One of the best ways I have found to not live my life through them and their achievements is to not always be a spectator in their lives. Not that I'm not always on the sidelines cheering them on, just that I try to not let my life be ONLY a spectator sport. I try to live. I try to have my own growth/goals/achievements/activities/successes. I like being able to have something to share with my children about what happened in my day as well as listening to what happened in theirs.

I hope this has helped me in the parenting department. I also hope, as I watch my children get older, that it helps me deal with everything when I become an empty-nester. I can honestly say I am not really looking forward to that stage of life. However, since it is inevitable (well, maybe not, due to Alec) I hope I am prepared for life after kids.

I'm probably thinking about this right now because a week ago I stayed with my cousins. They are the exact ages of Kevin and I, have 4 children, and are already empty-nesters. Time flies. Thank goodness I still have at least 8 more years!

No comments:

Post a Comment