Saturday, August 21, 2010

balance

A long while ago, I wrote this post on balance. Yesterday I was sitting in class when the instructor brought up a very similar balance model (except he used emotional instead of social). He used a scripture to support this. I found that very fascinating.

Mark 12:30-31 states And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all they heart (emotional), and with all thy soul (spiritual), and with all of thy mind (mental), and with all thy strength (physical): this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself (social). There is none other commandment greater than these.

This gave me great reason to pause and reflect. Most of you who read my blog know that I struggle with getting enough sleep. I have never linked my tiredness to an inability to love God with all of my strength. This may truly give me new motivation to get to bed earlier.

I have always known we should take care of our bodies because they are a temple, because they are God's creation, and because we are created in His image. I've also known that are spirituality is affected by our physical selves. I guess I've just never taken it far enough to see that it affects my ability to love God.

No comments:

Post a Comment