Thursday, August 26, 2010

which day is the first?

Utah does year-round schooling in the elementary schools. I have always liked it. My children go for 9 weeks and then get a 3-week break. The break falls when students are tiring of school and I am tiring of homework. I love the first two weeks of the break and we play and do fun things. About the time I am feeling the need to get back to my normal return, it is time for them to start up again.

However, there is a downside. With children in all levels of school, I never have an actual "First Day of School" where all the children head back. Chandler started 4 1/2 weeks before the others.

In fact, to further muddy the waters, since Shanley is starting 7th grade (1st year of middle school here) she started one day before Alec and McKayla. Since McKayla is a student leader, she actually had to be at the school on Shanley's first day to help the new sevvies find their classrooms. But it's not really her first day of school.

I used to have a few traditions for the first day of school. Now that is harder. I can't hardly determine what the first day of school is. Do I celebrate everyone's first day on their own? Is McKayla's first day the first day she has to be at the school or the first day she actually has classes?

Today they are actually ALL in school - officially! However, I did have to laugh one more time. One of my traditions is to take a first day of school picture. McKayla had to wear her soccer uniform to school today (she has an "away" game) so she didn't want her picture today. She wants me to take it tomorrow when she wears a cute "first day of school" outfit. I give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment