Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Balance

I was recently substituting for a middle school seminary and was trying to stress to them the need to prioritize. I asked them if they are trading what they want most for what they want now. I tried to emphasize that no one was expecting them to study scriptures for 5 hours a day or give up TV or friends or sports completely. Instead, they just need to make sure their activities are in line with their long-term priorities and that they give some time to spiritual things as well. The more I thought about this, the more I concluded that it all comes down to balance.

I am a big believer in finding balance in my life. Back when I was at Ricks College (longer ago than I'd like to think) I set about trying to make sure that every day I did something in each of the four following areas:
*intellectual
*spiritual
*physical
*social

I still try to do this on a daily basis. I find that when I have balance, I feel better about myself and about my life. Intellectually, I enjoy doing the sudoku, crossword puzzle, and cryptoquote in the newspaper each day. I also enjoy reading (I'll admit some of my reading is not too intellectual) and doing the word challenge game on Facebook. Spiritually, I enjoy reading the scriptures, preparing lessons, writing in my journal (or blog), attending the temple, or serving others. My favorite physical exercise is Jazzercise and I take a Jazzercise class 5 days a week. i also enjoy walking and hiking and playing soccer with my children. I am probably the weakest on social. I don't like to talk on the phone so most of my social comes from scrapbooking with friends a couple times a month and being involved in PTA and Young Women.

In addition to the daily activities, I like to stretch a little more in each area on an annual basis. For example, for the intellect I do continuing professional education (required to keep my CPA license) each year. I also try to learn new skills such as blogging, sewing tote bags, learning PowerPoint, trying new recipes, etc. Socially, I go on semi-annual scrapbook retreats with friends that are so much fun and I enjoy family reunions a great deal. One of my favorite things to do on an annual basis to improve my spirituality is to attend Education Week at BYU.

I do believe everyone's balance is different. For example, what I do spiritually may be more than the next person but maybe for that person Jazzercise 5 times a week would not be enough. I think everyone must find the balance that is right for them. All I know is that if you find me flat on my face (or flat in bed), I have probably let myself get out of balance.

--scrappinsoccermama is upright for now!

3 comments:

  1. Marvelle...can I just say that you are amazing! I have learned so much from you. Balance what a good idea why didn't I think of that before? Thanks for being my friend. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just needed to read that today!! Thanks so much--I think it's a life long process to find the balance:) I am so sorry I missed the baptism. I had already arranged for the condo and made the plans with my mom & sis, then I realized it was all happening the same weekend. Isn't that the way it goes? Anyway I'm a couple of weeks late (of course) but I wanted to tell you sorry that I couldn't be there. Chandler was Maggie's age when Ben and I started dating??? How time flies....I hope he liked his frame. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it can be a life long process to find the balance. I also think the balance changes throughout our lifetime. The balance when I was at Ricks is different than the balance at this stage in my life.

    ReplyDelete