Sunday, August 22, 2010

sin and unmet needs

I learned so much from Education Week that I'm sure my posts will be filled with things from that for the next while.

One intriguing idea was that "all sin springs from deep and unmet needs". This idea came from a talk "Jesus the Perfect Leader" given by President Spencer W. Kimball.

The instructor of the class who introduced this idea to me had once been a bishop. He said he came across this talk from Pres. Kimball and it changed how he counseled as a bishop. Instead of first addressing the sin, he would try to help the individual discover what the deep, unmet need was so that they could change the behavior.

He shared an example of a young couple (BYU students) who were ready to divorce. He found that they were surviving on rice krispies, Coke, and lemon creme cookies. He got them to change their eating habits and that turned their marriage around.

That is (I am sure) an extreme example. Still, it has caused me to reflect. What sins of mine stem from an unmet need? What is that need? How do I go about filling that need? Am I helping meet my children's unmet needs? My husband's?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Marvelle. I haven't ever heard of that talk but I definitely will search it out to read now. I have been introduced to the idea, though.

    A year ago I likely would have disagreed that sin springs from deep and unmet needs. I used to believe that some of the sins I committed in the past were simply because I wanted fun, excitement, etc. Not anymore.

    Now I totally agree. It has changed the way I view "sinners." For example, think about the commandments to love one another and to forgive. It's so much easier to love someone that you see as wounded and hurting. The same goes for forgiving. Small wonder that Christ was so tender and merciful with the sinners he encountered. He knew more than just their deeds. He knew their hearts.

    ReplyDelete