Sunday, June 13, 2010

more on Eve

Several weeks ago I posted some thoughts on Eve. After seeing my post, my mom loaned me a book entitled Eve and the Choice Made in Eden by Beverly Campbell. I haven't finished reading it yet but it has opened my eyes to a few more thoughts on our mother, Eve.

The author quotes a Hebrew scholar, Dr. Nehama Aschkenasy, as having researched the word command as used in the Creation story. She found that it "was from a different verb form, whose usage connotes a strong, severe warning, perhaps a statement of law, that was possibly temporary in nature, so that at some future, unspecified time it might not apply."

This might be similar to telling your child to never, under any condition, touch the stove. You mean it at the time and it is a hard and fast rule until you deem your child responsible enough to learn to cook.

I found this to be an interesting thought. Eve had matured and grown enough to make a wise decision. Remember, while she lived in the Garden she was able to talk to God and be taught line upon line and precept upon precept. This fits my image of Eve being an educated, wise woman who made a good, unselfish decision. Her decision was not in her best interest (she walked and talked with God after all) but it was in the best interest of all mankind that she partake of the fruit and allow each of us the opportunity to come to earth.

Elder Russell M. Nelson said, "We and all mankind are forever blessed because of Eve's great courage and wisdom. By partaking of the fruit first, she did what needed to be done. Adam was wise enough to do likewise." ("Constancy Amid Change")

More and more, as I study, I come to believe Eve is an incredible woman who deserves honor and praise.

1 comment: