Wednesday, June 16, 2010

anything guys can do, I can do...or NOT!

With Kevin out of town all the time, I have taken a perverse pride in being very independent. I have learned to do so many things on my own. At times, Kevin has even moaned, "You don't need me." (Not true, there are even specific things I have intentionally not learned to do so that he'll still have to do them.) I have hiked alone with 5 children when the youngest still had to be carried in a backpack. I camp alone. I've assembled furniture and fixed things around the house. I've built things, etc.

Maybe I've gotten too proud (pride cometh before the fall, you know).

On Monday I took off for Yuba Lake with a couple girlfriends and their children. The secretary at Chandler's school couldn't believe I was going on my own. She wanted to know who was going to set up the tent. Me. She wanted to know who was going to haul the waverunners. Me. She wanted to know who was going to back the waverunner trailer into the water. Me.

See - too much pride.

I headed home earlier today and hadn't even gone 5 miles when the axle on the trailer bent. That meant the wheels were now rubbing on the trailer fenders which was causing smoke and overheated tires which would eventually lead to fire and destroyed tires!

My friend, Jill, and I grabbed hammers and used all our might trying to bend the fender. No luck. We thought maybe we could do it if we jacked up the trailer but I was scared to do that with the waverunners on it. I finally stopped a man and asked for his help. He jacked up the trailer and, with his crowbar, bent the fenders so they wouldn't rub.

I then was able to drive back home.

After receiving this assistance from a MAN. Yep, I can't do it all.

1 comment: