Thursday, February 4, 2010

what aren't they telling us?

I took Chandler to get his hair cut last Saturday and forgot my book. Mistake #1.

I picked up People magazine to read while I was waiting. Mistake #2.

I turned to an article on people who were now half their original size. Mistake #3.

You see, I've always struggled with my weight (like since I turned 13). I don't need to lose half of my weight like the people in the articles but a fourth of it would be nice. However, it totally irritates me to read these magazine articles that make it sound so easy. Most of the people said, "I just cut out fast food." "I eliminated soda from my life." "I started walking 30 minutes a day and lost weight." Those statements just make me wonder what is wrong with me. (or what they're not telling me)

I work out 5 days a week at high intensity and with weights and have exercised that regularly for 25 years. Even when I trained for a marathon and ran 30-40 miles a week, I didn't lose weight.

I seldom eat out and even more seldom do I east fast food.

I don't put butter on my rolls and rarely do I put salad dressing on my salad.

I don't drink soda - diet or otherwise. I drink 8-16 cups of water every day.

I use low-fat or fat-free ingredients wherever possible.

Still, the weight does not magically fall off. The magazine articles always make it sound like you can just make a few minor changes in your diet or activity level and poof! the weight is gone. Whatever.

I know my eating is not perfect. I need better portion control and I do have a sweet tooth. Still, a bag of Dove chocolates usually lasts me at least a month.


--scrappinsoccermama is sure this post sounds bitter. Probably because I haven't had chocolate for well over a month -- that should make anyone grouchy but at least the weight is sort-of slipping away.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN SISTER! i was eating 1200 calories a day and maintaining my weight-not loosing! i had to eat 1000 to loose anything. let me tell you, it wasnt as easy as the mags make it look!

    ReplyDelete