Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sweethearts

An hour or two after Alec was born, my obstetrician came in to tell me that Alec had Down syndrome. As soon as my doctor left, I started crying. I was afraid Alec would get teased, would never get invited to birthday parties, would never go on a date, and would never get married. I was so sad for all the things he would miss out on.

Well, count attending a formal high school dance with a date as one event Alec will NOT have to miss!

Yesterday, Alec was asked to the Sweethearts' Dance at the high school.


He came home all decked out with a crown and a balloon and a poster and announced to me that he was going on a date! I am so excited for him!


The girl had actually called me last week to ask me if it was okay for her to ask him. Of course, I was thrilled! I spent the day of her call alternating between wanting to jump up and down and scream with joy and wanting to cry because it was so touching.

The girl is absolutely darling! I met her last year when she and Alec played on a Unified Soccer Team (a team that mixes kids with and without disabilities). She plays on the high school girls' soccer team and I found her to be a lot of fun and delightful to converse with!

I feel so wonderfully blessed that I had Alec in a time when people with disabilities are not shunned. I look back now and think there was no need to cry. Alec is actually very happy with his life (for the most part) and most people are absolutely great with him!

2 comments:

  1. her mom should be proud of the girl she raised! it would be easy to ask someone with out special needs to a big vday dance. but it takes someone with a kind heart and a sweet spirit to ask alex.
    i hope she can drive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet! Daniel told kolby the other day "Its my way or the highway"... kolby said, "um, i think the highway" :)

    ReplyDelete