Thursday, March 12, 2009

This I Believe

I recently read a book titled "This I Believe". It is based on a 1950's radio show by the same name in which people were encouraged to submit essays describing their beliefs. The entries were really varied. Some of the basic tenets I agreed with and others I didn't, but the book really made me think about my own beliefs. What would I write in my essay? I guess one of my beliefs is the need for balance in our lives (see yesterday's entry). I have many beliefs and can't narrow it down to just one overriding belief but I'll focus on one today.

I believe in the inherent goodness of mankind. Despite the various media reports which would protray an ugly, horrible, violent society, I do believe that most humans are kind, generous, and helpful. For every horrid thing that has ever happened to me, I can think of hundreds of random acts of kindness, thoughtful gestures, or loving things that have been done for me.

I see the basic goodness of mankind on a daily basis. It is in the high school basketball players who allow Alec to play ball with them, sit with them at games, and pose for pictures with them. It is in the driver who motions for me to merge in front of him when there is heavy traffic. It is in the neighbor who stops me to say hello and see how my life is going when I am out for a walk. It is in the fact that the only two times I have ever had a flat tire, someone pulled over to change it for me before I had a chance to even remove the spare from the trunk.

Yes, bad things do happen. Evil exists. I am not Pollyanna or someone living in a fairytale. I just have a basic, heartfelt belief that more people are good than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment