Friday, April 20, 2012

out of control

I can't be the only person who things school dances have gotten out of hand. They are so expensive that students can't even afford to attend.

It's not just the tickets. It's all the things students feel like they have to do - pictures, all-day activities, after-dance activities, etc.

I'd love to make it simpler. Come to my home and I'll feed you dinner and then snap a few pics with my camera. I could even make your corsage/boutenniere for a fraction of the cost. May not be as glamorous but at least it would be affordable.

I think students feel like they have to go with the flow and that it's expected that they do what everyone else is doing. Sorry, but who has money to pay $30 for pictures for every dance?

I read in the paper this morning about "Prom-posals". Those are the Prom invites that are getting as elaborate as a marriage proposal. Students are even paying $600 for a banner flying behind an airplane to ask a date to prom. $600 just for the invite! Ridiculous!

I think we've passed the point of keeping-up-with-the-Joneses and are now focusing on one-upping-the-Joneses. Great lesson for our youth to be learning. Not.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Let's just keep it simple and fun, right?

    ReplyDelete