Tuesday, February 22, 2011

too many laws

I read in the paper that the Utah State Legislature is close to passing a low which will ban teens from driving while using a cell-phone (even a hands-free device).

I am for the "no-cell-phone-while-driving-policy" but it makes me crazy that the legislature must pass laws regarding this and similar issues. Why can't we police ourselves? Must we have a law spelling out our every behavior? Do any of us utilize the common sense we were born with?

When Brakston got a cell-phone (at age 16), I thought it was my job as a parent to spell out appropriate use. Kevin and I wrote up a cell phone contract with such regulations as (1) the phone gets put away at 10 pm on weeknights and midnight on weekends (2) no cell phone use during school classes (3) he pay any excess charges and (4) absolutely no cell phone usage of any kind while he was driving. We made Brakston sign this contract.

I can't believe we have to put hundreds of hours of time and thousands of dollars into passing such laws. Sad, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment