Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"no time for morals"

I just finished reading "Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster" by Jon Krakauer.

I am a big fan of Mt. Everest accounts. They fascinate me.

They also leave me wondering.

Krakauer quotes another climber as saying, "Above 8,000 meters is not a place where people can afford morality." This was said as the climber moved past two climbers who were close to death and in desperate need of assistance. The climber pushed on for the summit and achieved his goal of cresting Mt. Everest.

From what I understand, the risks are really high with trying to aid a struggling climber. It could potentially mean the difference in the fight for your own survival. The time and energy expenditure could cost your own life.

Still, is there ever a place where we can't afford morality?

Do I have a limit where I would place my own survival above another's?

I honestly don't know the answer to that question because while I can't believe I would walk away from a dying person without doing everything I could to help, I also have to ask myself the tougher questions. Do I ever put my own needs before the needs of others? Am I ever oblivious to those in trouble because I am too busy? Has there ever been a time when I've been too wrapped up in my own problems to notice the trials of others?

While I honestly don't believe I'd be able to step over a dying person on my way to the top, I can't be too judgmental. I'm afraid my own conscience isn't always clear on doing everything I can to come to the rescue of others.

Maybe it's time for me to slow down and notice those I'm stepping over.

1 comment:

  1. how facinating. my dad was always havn me watch everest shows and the survivor stories. I'm pretty sure you'd always do the right thing, youre just that kind of gal:) p.s. congrats on the YW medallion!

    ReplyDelete