Sunday, October 10, 2010

early trick or treat?

The other night I made homemade tomato soup with the tomatoes harvested from my garden.

Yes, that's right. I said tomato soup. This is not a trick although my kids certainly thought it was when I announced "tomato soup" and then set a yellow soup in front of them.

However, yellow tomato soup is what you get when your tomatoes look like this:


I didn't realize it when I planted them or purchased them but I have many yellow tomato plants in my garden. In fact, I kept looking at the tomatoes from my kitchen window and thinking two thoughts:
1) I don't remember tomatoes going through a yellow stage - I thought it was just green then red, and
2) When will those tomatoes EVER turn red?

Finally, I actually walked out to the garden to check on the tomatoes and that's when I realized that they were ripe and ready to be harvested. They are just yellow tomatoes - yellow through and through. It's a little disconcerting but they're pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment