Tuesday, October 5, 2010

and the parents role is?

It's hard to be a parent - at least it's hard to be a good one! How does one determine good, better, best practices? How do you know where to draw the line? I have to admit that I think I fall into the category of "pretty-tough-parent that expects a lot from her kids".

For example, I have trained all of my kids to get themselves up in the morning. They have to take responsibility for themselves and not rely on a parent to wake them up. I think this is a good practice. They won't always have a parent around to wake them for college classes or work.

However, I work with 2 women who have 17-year-old sons who wake them every morning. They claim it's a parent's job plus it is nice for the sons to wake to a loving, caring voice. They also tell me that their sons can't reliably get themselves up and it's the parent's responsibility to ensure they get to school.

I say, "Let them sleep in and miss a few classes, have to pay for and attend tardy school, and they'll eventually catch on."

But, what do I know? It's not like I'm winning any mother-of-the-year contests.

2 comments:

  1. im making my 9 and 6 yr old make their own breakfasts now. and while i was sick-they did their own lunches and dinners (well, the oldest made dinners). do i feel bad? nope-they ate/eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my 5 yr old has been getting up, getting himself ready and getting his own breakfast for a year now. he also helps out his 3 yr old sister. I'm all about teaching independence, as long as they still need me for hugs:)

    ReplyDelete