Monday, October 11, 2010

fhe

I organized and hosted a group FHE last night. I thought it went really well and was quite fun!

I had all the kids hang on to a rope tied in the back yard. Their instruction was to "hang on, no matter what." "Don't let go!"

The adults went inside the house One by one, we would periodically go outside and whisper to one or two of the kids trying to entice them to let go. "I'll give you a treat if you come inside."

Most of the kids let go and came inside. They actually got a treat like they were promised - a few mini tootsie rolls. Those that hung on until the end were rewarded with full-size candy bars.

We then talked about the iron rod. We talked about how Satan tries to lure us to let go. We talked about how we may receive "rewards" but they are not nearly as great or as lasting as if we hold on. The kids really seemed to get it. Those that let go talked about how almost immediately they regretted their decision or wondered if they should have let go. They wished they had hung on.

The parents all shared examples of how holding to the rod has helped them.

One thing I would do differently if I did it again - I gave the original instuctions to NOT let go and then I was one of the ones that tried to lure them in. Some of them found that confusing. Another time, I wouldn't do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment