Wednesday, December 2, 2009

a tug on my heartstrings

A month ago Kevin and I asked our children what they want for Christmas. Alec's answer: "Brakston."

Yesterday, Alec came into my room and asked me if Brakston is coming home for Christmas. I explained (for the 73rd time) that Brakston is serving a mission and won't be home for 14 more months. Then Alec said, "His stocking is up. What will happen to his stocking?"

Good question, Alec. What will happen to his stocking? At what point will I no longer hang the stocking of every child? The second year of the mission? After they've gone to college? After they've married? After they've had children of their own?

At this point I still can't comprehend a Christmas with a child missing (and that will occur in 23 days!) let alone contemplate not hanging a stocking for them. So, for now, Brakston's stocking will hang alongside those of my other four children and I'll probably just shed a tear or two when it remains empty on Christmas day.

3 comments:

  1. You should fill his stocking with yummy things like dark chocolate and then on Christmas day you can eat it for Brakston while thinking of him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that you're looking for suggestions, but what if Santa fills Brak's stocking and then you and Alec take what Santa puts in Brakston's stocking and send it to him? The unanticipated surprise would make him the envy of the mission! Not important (or nice), I know, but he would feel so loved and connected to home! Alec would love it, too, I'm sure. You could even send a picture of Alec holding Brakston's stocking on Christmas morning. Sorry for the unsolicited advice, but your post made me cry!

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never thought of that. MY KIDS CANNOT GROW UP! im and deciding that right now. i cant deal.

    ReplyDelete