Thursday, December 3, 2009

his generosity knows no bounds?

I had a period of panic today. I was uber-thrifty last month (even with the trip to CA) and managed to save $60 from my budget. My thinking was this would help smooth this expensive holiday month.

I went grocery shopping this morning and imagine my surprise when I opened my wallet to find $6. Yes, that's right, a whopping $6. I positively knew I had had a $50 bill. Where did it go? I mentally retraced my steps over the past 4 days. Nope, didn't spend it anywhere.

Then, I remembered that Alec had asked me for money to donate to SilverRush (the annual RHS charitable fundraiser) and in a moment of perfect clarity I knew, I just knew, that Alec had donated the $50. The charity this year is The Road Home, a worthy charity to be sure, but I hadn't planned on $50.

And this was the best possible scenario I could think of. I knew it was possible he'd given it to a friend or used it in the vending machines (do they even accept fifties?).

I made a frantic call to his teacher hoping that maybe he still had the money. Alec was in seminary at the moment (hopefully repenting of his thieving ways) but his teacher said he'd definitely had quite a bit of money today.

I waited anxiously for her return call ($50 is a lot of money to me). She did call. Mystery solved. Alec had actually donated the money. Luckily, he donated it to his lunch account at school.

I should have remembered that Alec's favorite charity is his stomach.

1 comment: