Wednesday, December 2, 2009

the art of the apology

As a society, has our capacity to say "I'm sorry" diminished?

A few weeks ago, there was an unfortunate incident between BYU and UNM women's soccer players that received a lot of attention. The UNM player involved apologized but denied that her behavior was indicative of her character.

More recently was BYU quarterback Max Hall's apology for his hate-filled diatribe against the U of U. It was an apology laced with justification. BYU fan that I am, I am still not positive that it really counts as an apology if you are justifying your actions.

Last week when we arrived in LA, McKayla tried to grab our suitcase off the plane. A lady almost grabbed it from her and said, "That's ours." She set it on the seat across the aisle from her. Chandler was right in front of me and tried to grab it (not knowing of McKayla's experience). The lady snapped at him so hard that he almost ran off the plane. We disembarked and I told the kids that when everyone else was off the plane, we'd go back on and try to retrieve our bag. In the meantime, the lady got off the plane, met up with her husband, realized that it was NOT her bag and gave it to us with a snide "here". No apology whatsoever. (Probably embarrassed, but whatever...)

I am vowing right now to try to incorporate "I'm sorry" into my vocabulary more often!

1 comment:

  1. what a witch.
    and that lady wasnt nice either.
    that max hall thing is crazy. we teach our kids to be good winners-the winner has to clean up the game! and the one who comes in 2nd...well they are 1st place looser!
    my kids love games now because it is fun and not who wins.

    ReplyDelete