Monday, December 21, 2009

one more

I can't help myself.

I've gotten going on "Alec stories" and now I can't stop. He truly makes my life an adventure. Besides, this is an "Alec story" that happened at Christmas time so it fits.

Every year my family hosts a Christmas open house. We invite our neighbors/ward members (in Utah it's practically the same thing) over for warm drinks (after all, hot drinks are not for the body - hee hee) and homemade candies and assorted breads. We visit and eat and enjoy ourselves.

Two years ago, Alec looked out the French doors and noticed police lights on Bangerter Highway. I should have been on alert because Alec is drawn to the sirens and lights of emergency vehicles. However, the party was wrapping up and Kevin was getting ready to fly out so there was chaos. Things had just quieted down when I got a phone call. The caller identified himself as a member of the Utah State Highway Patrol and told me he had Alec on Bangerter. He said Alec had been throwing rocks at cars. I was shocked because regardless of the hoodlum-type stories I have told about him, that really is not typical behavior for him.

I hurriedly drove over to pick him up. The cops actually had him in the back of their car and imagine my horror when Alec got out of the car in HANDCUFFS! No kidding. The cops had handcuffed him before putting him in the highway patrol vehicle (they justified it as standard procedure). I am sure a 15-year-old with Down syndrome and the understanding of a 4-year-old poses a considerable threat!

I drove Alec home not really knowing what to say. Honestly, I was in a stupor. That is, until I got home and told Brakston all about it. Brakston started laughing and then so did I. We actually got a little bit hysterical we were laughing so hard. (The absurdity of putting Alec in handcuffs!)


--scrappinsoccermama swears she is doing her best NOT to raise juvenile delinquents!

No comments:

Post a Comment