Sunday, November 8, 2009

a new pet peeve

I've been doing quite a bit of sewing this year (for me, anyway) and I have discovered a new irritation - fabric stores that insist you leave a yard of fabric on the bolt.

This happened to me yesterday. I found an absolutely great fabric that I really wanted to buy ONE yard of. Unfortunately, there was 1 1/2 yards on the bolt. So, with the rule of having to leave 1 yard on the bolt I had two choices:

1) buy the extra 1/2 yard (or in other words, throw away $5) or
2) not buy the fabric

I chose not to buy.

It seems ridiculous to me. What if other businesses operated this way? I'm sorry, we have three theater tickets left. You can't just buy two tickets. or Yes, you ordered one burrito from us, but we had enough pork barbacoa to make three so you'll have to pay for all of them. or We accidently printed extra Deseret Newspapers this morning. You'll have to pay for two of them today. I could go on and on but I'm sure you can see the absurdity of it all.

I just don't get it. Fabric stores are in the business of selling fabric but why do they get to dictate how much? If an extra 1/2 yard is left, sell it as a remnant or make it into a fat quarter. It's not like they are stuck with some unusable product - people do buy fabric in 1/2 yard increments. I just didn't happen to need an extra 1/2 yard today.

--scrappinsoccermama guesses the best she can hope for is that someone goes in, buys the 1/2 yard and leaves the 1 yard minimum for me to go back and buy. I really did like the fabric.

2 comments:

  1. that is weird. it isnt YOUR fault that they are running out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hate that too. But what's more annoying is if they don't have enough of a well-liked fabric for your project. So, perhaps this is their reasoning.

    ReplyDelete