Wednesday, November 11, 2009

he DID it!

I'm still in a bit of shock and unsure whether to laugh or cry. Is it one of those sickeningly sweet tales that will be recounted in a testimony meeting or is it a horror movie that will have me running and screaming?

It's really nothing out of the ordinary for the parents of most teens -- boy asks girl on date, girl accepts, they go out. But this is not most teens, this is Alec.

Yes, really and truly, Alec asked a girl to the Spontaneous Dance on this Saturday and she accepted. They exchanged bracelets and everything (the Live Strong, Lance Armstrong-type bracelet -- no beads or sissy stuff). Alec is officially going to his first high school dance WITH A DATE.

I didn't even find out from Alec. His school teacher emailed me that Alec had asked his peer tutor, Heather, and she was willing to go if I was okay with it all. What a sweet girl! I like her already and I haven't even met her.

I have, however, talked to her on the phone. I had to call and make the arrangements. In fact, since Alec will NEVER drive and Heather cannot have passengers (not 6 months past her birthday - Utah law), I will have to drive them. The phone call was a bit awkward. Maybe I just got a glimpse of what a teenage boy goes through.

I'm not sure how the whole evening will go. After I got the email I asked Alec if he'd asked Heather to the dance. His response? Probably (Good luck, Heather! ) I can take comfort in the fact that, as his peer tutor, at least she should already know what she's in for. Besides, if Alec is going to a dance, this is a good one. It is very casual - not even matching t-shirts or professional photographers. One person pays for dinner and the other pays for dance. Either the boy or the girl can ask. Alec does like to eat and to dance so that part should be okay (as long as he doesn't decide he'd rather be watching Pirates of the Caribbean that night.



--scrappinsoccermama promises pictures on Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. that's so awesome!! hope they have a great time! I got your package today!!! thanks much!!!! you're are so cool!!! I felt really bad when i realized i didn't even know your last name. ha! the YW stuff is perfect! and the cards are adorable! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I said I would want to be a fly on the wall all night. This is bettter you get to drive so you will get the scoop:) He will be fine, she sounds like a sweetie!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete