Monday, November 16, 2009

confession

I have a confession to make.

I've been listening to Christmas music for over a week now! Yep, I'm in the Christmas mood!

I used to be "one of those" people who hated that we seem to skip from Halloween to Christmas without pausing for Thanksgiving. I refused to listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. I like Thanksgiving - homemade rolls, pie, family, counting blessings, what's not to like? Why would I want to gloss over Thanksgiving? So, no "Deck the Halls" or "Jingle Bells" for me until late November.

Then a couple weeks ago I was teaching seminary and one of the classes wanted to sing a Christmas song for the opening hymn. A few members of the class voiced their disapproval of singing carols before Thanksgiving. Then, this very thoughtful boy said, "Christmas is celebrating Christ's birth. Shouldn't we celebrate that all year long?" And just like that, my own irritation with radio stations that play only Christmas music from November 1st to January 1st ceased.

So, bring on the "Silent Night" or the "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear". I'm prepared.




--scrappinsoccermama can combine Thanksgiving and Christmas music - I am thankful for Christ's birth!

1 comment:

  1. right there with you! i love the fellings, the memories, the promis of christmas. i have such wonderful memories of family at christmas time-why shouldnt i listen to it with my kids and make beautiful memories with them?!
    btw-36 days left!

    ReplyDelete