Saturday, November 14, 2009

sweet goodness

It is no secret that I like chocolate. I like smooth, creamy melt-in-my-mouth milk chocolate. However, I've discovered that once you've experienced a fine European chocolate bar, it is so difficult to truly enjoy a waxy Hershey bar.

For me, it is the same with the Gospel. I believe once you have tasted the sweet fruits of the Gospel, it is difficult to be satisfied with less.

Many years ago I made a goal to increase my temple attendance. At the time, the increase meant attending once per month. The following year, I decided to increase it again -- this time to 18 times per year. I was fairly proud of myself (pride's a sin, I know, but I can only work on one thing at a time). However, at the end of that year, the First Presidency came out with a letter asking everyone to double their temple attendance for the upcoming year. I have to admit that I murmured. (yes, another sin) I kept thinking, why couldn't they have asked this years ago when doubling wouldn't have meant as much. Seriously, they have to wait until I've attended 18 times to ask me to double it? Thirty-six times for the next year? Is it possible? Could I do it?

I did it and found it wasn't much of a sacrifice. It was wonderful! I really loved it and enjoyed my time at the temple. So, the following year I didn't even hesitate to set my goal at attending weekly. Yep, I'd tasted of the sweet, sugary goodness of the temple and I was addicted! I continued going weekly even after I began volunteering in the temple baptistry one morning per week.

This continued until a couple months ago. For some reason, the universe seemed to conspire against my going. I would end up teaching seminary or Kevin would be flying or ... Not even really good excuses, I just couldn't seem to make it EVERY SINGLE WEEK. (except the baptistry volunteering of course).

A few weeks ago, I noticed that I was really struggling in life. My act was just NOT together. No major events or setbacks had occurred so what was my problem?

It became quite clear as I was back at the temple this morning. I had been experiencing severe withdrawals. That's right - I hadn't been feeding my temple addiction. Such peaceful relief to be back at the temple and taste once more of its goodness. I already feel like my life is getting back on track. I feel positive and hopeful.

I truly feel that if you've experienced one level of gospel-living, you can't go backwards without serious consequences. Move forward or pay the price. Personally, I'd like to keep feeding my addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment