Saturday, September 3, 2011

the BIG day

I can't believe it! My oldest child is getting married today. Wasn't he just in diapers? Just starting kindergarten? Playing in his first soccer game? Nervous about starting middle school? Going on his first date?

How does a mother learn to let go? I cried and cried when he left on his mission. It was so hard to see him go even though I wanted him to. You'd think that would've helped prepare me for letting him go now.

As if.

I'm crying now.

I just barely got him back from his mission. I have loved every single minute of having him back home. But those minutes were far too few. I wanted him to be MINE for a while longer.

I feel guilty for not being super excited about this marriage. I mean, I love Whitney. I am really happy to have her join our family. I just can hardly stand the thought of Brakston moving out of our home again.

Crap! I should have bought waterproof mascara!

3 comments:

  1. Thinkn of u today. All of life's events seem to take on new meaning as a mother. I'll call you in a few years to get advice on letting go. I'll give you 15 years to master it :)
    Can't wait to see all the beautiful pictures of today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always had a REALLY hard time with each of my siblings getting married (even though I love their spouses). I can't imagine how I will handle one of my own kids! That being said, congrats to the happy couple! Can't wait to see wedding pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got done rocking Isaac....and I rocked him EXTRA long this time! Just thinking of Brak and watching you and Kevin tonight, I just kept thinking about HIS future! I can't believe that he is married either.....he just stepped off the plane :) I think you have every right to be sad, you guys have been SO close. Whitney is great, but it's SO hard to let go-----I can't even think about it!

    ReplyDelete