Wednesday, April 6, 2011

tips for surviving Spring

I like Spring - really I do. My favorite color (green) pops up everywhere. Flowers bloom. Days get warmer (well, at least some days do). It's just that Spring comes with its own set of challenges - namely soccer, track, softball, lacrosse, and more soccer.

The portion of my evening that I don't spend on a field or at a meet is spent in the Suburban getting myself and chidren to/from whatever. During Spring my house more closely resembles Grand Central Station with arriving and departing passengers than a home. (Not trying to whine here - I LOVE my children's events and I truly believe that busy children are less likely to get into trouble - just telling it how it is).

One of the things I do to survive the Spring sports season chaos is to try to mitigate my guilt over not having family dinners together by at least trying to have healthy meal options in my fridge that each family member can grab when the opportunity presents itself. For example, if I make a big batch of chicken salad and buy rolls or croissants then everyone can make themselves a sandwich. Another example is I have a few favorite salad recipes that keep well in the fridge. Again, kids can just help themselves when (maybe I should say IF) they get home.

Here's two of the salad recipes:

Summer Chicken Salad
2 1/2 C uncooked seashell macaroni, cooked
1 C thinly sliced celery
! C chopped Granny Smith apples
1 1/2 C cooked chicken, cubed
1 bunch chopped green onions
1 C cubed Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/2 C Miracle Whip (I use fat-free)
1 T lemon juice
1/2 t salt
1/8 t pepper

Combine last 4 ingredients and then toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Add cashews right before serving.


Black Bean Salad
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 C chopped celery
1/4 C chopped green onions
1 1/2 C diced tomato
1/2 C chopped red pepper
1/4 C cilantro
12 oz can corn, drained
1 T Tabasco
1/4 C vinegar
1/3 C sugar
2 T oil
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/2 t cumin

Mix all ingredients together. Can add pasta if desired.


Bring on Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment