Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spring Break, Part III

Sunday started off with a drive through Capitol Reef to attend church in Torrey. Imagine my surprise when we walk in and I hear several teens say, "Hi, Alec!" Man, that kid knows people everywhere! It turns out it was people from Riverton. In fact, before the meeting started I saw 5 families from Riverton THAT I KNEW! (Riverton does have about 60,000 residents). In addition, they announced a funeral for one of their ward members and the funeral was at Broomhead Mortuary in RIVERTON (where my next-door neighbor works) with burial at Riverton Cemetery. It was hard to believe that I was 3 1/2 hours away from home!

After church we all took a scenic drive through Capital Reef and walked up Capital Gorge.

It rained off and on throughout Sunday afternoon - even hailing at one point. The kids took the opportunity to play the Skittle game.


The adults hid out in a tent and visited.

Later, the kids played the Quarter Game.


It dried out before bedtime and we built a fire and then "Blew Fire" like dragons (using cornstarch). I was the only one who'd done it before and it was a hit! Everybody gave it a try and even the youngest ones (Hannah and Ellie) were good at it!

It was a fun way to end the evening before the rain started again and we headed for our tents. Unfortunately, it rained all night and Nebekers tent leaked. They had a pretty miserable night. Combine that with the fact that the camp owner requested that we not ride the 4-wheelers (the mud was like clay) and we headed home Monday morning as soon as week could pack up.

We stopped at a Wendy's in Nephi on the way home. If seeing people we knew at church wasn't enough, I ran into one of them in the Wendy's as well. Then, even more bizarre, a lady waved to me and called me over. She remembered me from Cody (where I haven't lived for over 20 years). No way! She was one of my mom's friends so I called my mom so the two of them could chat for a few minutes.

The last stop before home was The Red Barn for ice cream. You're never too dirty and tired for ice cream!

It was a very fun trip! Now if only the sun would shine so I could put up my tent and get it dried out and cleaned!

2 comments:

  1. Sounded like you had a great Spring Break!! I went to Whitney's blog and got her scoop!! She is so cute!! When's the wedding?? :) Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the skittle game! Too bad we had to leave early! I'm glad you guys got back safely!

    ReplyDelete