Friday, July 22, 2011

Washington, D.C. (day three)

I managed to get a run in on Monday morning. I couldn't believe how many rabbits I saw. Then we spent the day at Mount Vernon. I had never been there before so I really enjoyed it and learned quite a bit about our nation's first president.

Mount Vernon was spectacular. Here's the view of the Potomac from the home.
Here's the home (from the back). They were restoring the front.
Here's where Pres. Washington and his wife are interred. We watched a reading and wreath-laying ceremony.
We even toured a grist mill and a whiskey distillery that were part of George Washington's business empire (he really was an amazing businessman).
We spent the entire day there. We ate lunch at Mount Vernon Inn and enjoyed their specialty - Peanut and Chestnut Soup. It was delicious and I got the recipe. I can't wait to make it at home but will probably wait until it is soup weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment