Thursday, July 7, 2011

WARNING: a very long (mostly dull) post on running

About all I can say about my running career (I realize it's really a stretch to call it that!) is that it has lasted a little over 22 years thus far. It started back in my BYU days after Kevin and I were married. I had a neighbor and friend named Leslie Stilson. We started walking together early every morning. After a while, we decided to try adding a little running. We gradually ran more and more and walked less and less. Eventually, we were just running every day. Then, I got the bright idea to train for and run a marathon. Yup, I got bit by the running bug!

Unfortunately, I also tore a tendon. I saw a doctor to diagnose my problem and he diagnosed a whole lot more - I was pregnant. I hadn't realized it yet and was extremely surprised but think I would have known withing a week or two anyways since I started puking within a week and didn't stop throwing up every 20 minutes for the next 3 months. By then, I was feeling fat, awkward, and out-of-shape and had no desire to run.

After Brakston was born, I finally got back into shape and started running again. Decided once more to attempt a marathon and got serious about training only to get pregnant once more. I didn't get sick with Alec and was running again 2 weeks after he was born. Still, caring for a newborn and a 3-year-old and working full-time didn't leave a lot of time for training.

About a year after I had Alec I got really serious about training again. I ran a lot of 5Ks and 10Ks. Then came my first half-marathon in Moab. It was a disaster! I felt like my legs were encased in cement and I couldn't make them move. It was such a struggle to even finish the race. I was pretty disheartened and it really scared me for the marathon. Luckily, the marathon day went well and I felt good.

Then it was back to on-again, off-again running between pregnancies and babies and so forth. I haven't had any babies for a while but I still seem to take winters off (I do Jazzercise INDOORS like any sane person would in Utah weather).

I reflected on all this during my run this morning. I did 7 miles and felt like my legs were encased in cement for most of it. It brought back memories. I thought about the upcoming Rivalry and Ragnar Relays and felt that mild pang of fear again. What if on race day I have a bad, cement-filled day again? This time it not only affects me but a whole team. I'm not really worried about it but can't help but think about it a little.

Especially since this morning's run was bad all the way around. I'm still running barefoot on the grass due to blisters. Besides the cement legs, I managed to step on stickers - not just once but twice. Yup, each foot got its own dose of prickly stickers in it. Even worse, I stepped on a snail/slug. Gross! They are all over near the north fence line so I try to watch carefully. Still, at once point I heard and felt the crunch underfoot and then the oozy slime. Disgusting!

Isn't running supposed to relieve stress?

2 comments:

  1. i am just begining my "running career" although its not really worthy of that title:) you inspire me. keep up the good work! and lay off the slugs will ya. heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the running!! I was jogging/walking for awhile but I have found my love of Bicycle riding again. Even up the hills, I can handle bicycle riding. I just need to go longer distances to get the same type of work out though. :) Good luck on your race!! You will do great cement legs or not!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete