Tuesday, July 26, 2011

is anything REALLY free?

This saying is part of the Korean War Memorial in Washington, D.C. I like the sentiment because it is always good to remember that our country's freedom comes at a price.

But, then, what doesn't?

Today is Chandler's 1st day of school (yes, for you non-Utahns I do realize it is still July but we here in this child-loving state have year-round school to deal with the sheer number of students). It is also enrollment time for middle and high school so I have spent the entire morning filling out a bazillion forms that some poor secretaries will spend hours filing and that will never be used/looked at again!

Now, I am writing checks for my children's "FREE" public education. Yes, our fees total $376.75. That is for only 2 students and does not include any class fees, sports fees, extra-curricular activities, etc. I anticipate that I will spend 1.5 to 2 times that much on cross-country and soccer fees and uniforms. And, of course, I pay my property taxes quite faithfully.

Don't get me wrong. My children have excellent teachers and are getting a good education. Somehow, though, I just can't quite reconcile myself to this notion of "free".

1 comment:

  1. what a fun DC trip! we just got home from our AZ trip. Forgot to say thanks sooooo much for the package! i may or may not have gulped down those delish almonds all on my own:)!!!

    ReplyDelete