Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Washington, D.C. (day one)

One of my favorite places is DC. My first opportunity to go there came when I was about 16 and I went on the "Close-Up" program. I paid my own way for a week-long trip focused on government. I fell in love with all there is to do and see in DC. As an adult, I attended 2 national Down syndrome conferences held in DC. I got to revisit so many of the things I loved plus experience some of the new things that weren't there my first trip (Holocaust Museum, FDR Memorial, etc). Two years ago, I took my girls (and Jill took her boys) and we spent almost a week there. This time I took Brakston and my aunt, Vicki, also went. My parents are living there. We visited a lot of my favorites but hit some new stuff too. It was another wonderful trip!

Brakston and I arrived Saturday late afternoon about an hour after Vicki arrived (and at a different airport). My parents gathered us all up and we headed to the National Mall. The first stop was the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.
Then it was off to walk the mall and visit several of the monuments/memorials. We saw the Washington Monument.
Viewed the White House (one of these days I might actually remember IN TIME to request tickets for a tour).
Saw the World War II Memorial.
Captured my own reflection on the Vietnam Memorial.
Saw Lincoln again (Brakston showed me that his hands form the sign language for his initials)And stood with the troops in Korea.
Liked this photo of the Korean Memorial.

So many people have served this country so nobly and have given their all in that service (even their lives if necessary). I'm grateful for the opportunity to reflect on that and honor their memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment