Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Potter-mania

I am quite excited for the new Harry Potter movie to come out. I say quite instead of extremely because I am not fanatic enough to go to a midnight showing. However, I am fan enough to help host a Harry Potter movie marathon. Yep, we're watching the first 7 movies this week with Goins and Nebekers. We've even got appropriate party food. Day one (Monday) included the first two movies and chocolate frogs (made from fudge and shaped into a mere semblance of a frog - I am NOT an artist!)
We also had magic wands (pretzel rods coated with caramel and chocolate and sprinkles).
And what Harry Potter party could be complete without butter beer? I found a recipe in the newspaper that looked good and tried it. We liked it! Here's the recipe:

1 C light brown sugar
2 T water
6 T butter (I used margarine)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cider vinegar
3/4 C heavy cream, divided
1 t rum extract
cream soda

In a small saucepan over medium high heat combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees (or soft ball stage for those, like me, without a thermometer). Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar, and 1/4 C heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature. When cooled, stir in the rum extract. In a medium bowl combine 2 T of the brown sugar mixture with 1/2 C heavy cream and beat with an electric mixer until just thickened but not completely whipped (about 2-3 minutes). To serve, put about 1/4 C brown sugar mixture and 1/4 C cream soda in each glass and stir. Fill each glass with cream soda and then spoon the whipped topping over each. (I doubled this and had plenty for at least 15 of us (though I cut the serving sizes in half).


Today's plan is to watch #3 and #4 and enjoy cockroach clusters (dried chow mein noodles and chocolate).


Tomorrow we'll finish up the movies with cauldron cakes (chocolate cupcakes with black string licorice handles) and acid pops (sour suckers coated in pop rocks). Sometime Friday I'll probably go see the new release.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun!!! You have the best ideas!! Enjoy Harry Potter Mania!!! :) Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I keep forgetting to Thank You, Thank You, Thank you for all the fun stuff I got from your birthday giveaway!!! It was a fun surprise in the mail!! :)

    ReplyDelete