Tuesday, May 31, 2011

sewing bonnets

I hated to sew when I was a teenager! I thought it was the most frustrating thing EVER! I did take a homemaking class in junior high and had to sew a few basic items. Then my mom tried to teach me a few things. I remember sewing a couple of jumpers and my mom would do all of the unpicking for me when I made a mistake because she was afraid I'd quit if I got too annoyed.

Well, mom, apparently all of that effort paid off. I may never be an excellent seamstress but I can sew a few basic things like aprons, quilts, skirts, and pajama pants.

More importantly, this weekend I needed to figure out how to make my bonnet for the Pioneer Trek coming up in a few weeks. The Stake provided a pattern and directions but the directions didn't even match the pattern they gave us and they were extremely difficult to understand. Luckily, my mom has taught me a few things over the years and I was able to just kind of make it up as I went along. I am pretty happy with the finished product which is good because now I need to teach the young women in my ward how to make theirs tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Very Cute!! Way to go! I happened to have a pioneer skirt and bonnet already for Britni so I didn't have to make anything. We are going with the Vancouver East Stake so they already have most everything provided as far as families and everything. They have done this before and love doing it. :) Have a great time on the Trek!! Ours is in July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed. I can't even sew on a button (and I know this because I recently tried - button fell off 30 min later). Btw, so exciting about the engagement!

    ReplyDelete