Thursday, September 23, 2010

where's the finish line?

I hiked up Bell Canyon yesterday. This hike was much more conducive to reflective thought. I came home feeling really refreshed.

I also learned something about myself. I need a definitive ending to things. I generally pick hikes that end at a lake or a waterfall. Last week I picked a hike from one canyon to another. When I reached the parking lot of the second canyon, it was time to turn around and go back.

Yesterday's hike really had no stopping point. (It would have if I'd had 10-12 hours to hike). I had decided to hike for 1 hour and then return. I couldn't do it. I was so afraid that there'd be an amazing view just over the next rise. Or, I'd tell myself that if I just hiked 10 more minutes I'd find a waterfall. Besides, I felt really good, was enjoying the hike and the solitude, and was getting lots of good thinking done.

That's when I realized I need a stopping point. I need to know that something's done or finished or that there's nothing more I can do or no where else to go. It's not just hikes. I do this at Christmas time too. I'll start baking really early so I can be done and ready but then I just end up baking more because I have time to try "just one more recipe". I'll make Christmas presents for my family and friends and then, because I still have time, I'll make something else.

I have quitting problems. Good thing I've never picked up smoking or drinking!




Wasn't it beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment