Saturday, September 18, 2010

rambling thoughts

I love to hike. I love the one-on-one with nature. It is beautiful. It is serene. It is peaceful. Often I escape to the moments for deep thoughts, reflection, and introspection. Vistas like these appear to be great for contemplation.



However, I have discovered I can't walk and think at the same time. Indeed, my thoughts seem to meander at the same speed as my feet. Here's a sampling:

Lake Mary has beautifully captured the reflection of those mountains. What do I reflect? Wait, is this Lake Mary or Dog Lake? No, Dog Lake is off to my right. It must be Lake Mary. Wait, there were 3 sisters that the lakes were named after...Mary, Catherine, and what's the other one? What is her name? It's not Sophie. Ben's daughter Sophie is so cute! I love the name Sophie. Wait, I want to be thinking deep, meaningful thoughts. What should I think about? I should have come prepared with a topic to contemplate. I've got nothing. Nothing is bothering me. I haven't had any "aha" moments. Nothing.

I wonder how moose attack. Do they head butt you? Gore you? Kick and stomp you? Should I make myself big and intimidating or curl up in a ball so I look non-threatening? I have no ID on me. How will they identify my dead body? Is my Riverton soccer sweatshirt enough of a clue? I am far too old to have played soccer at Riverton High since it's only been open about 10 years. Would investigators check to see if any parents of Riverton soccer players were missing? I'm so glad McKayla is getting varsity time. As a freshman, no less. The coach seems to like her. I'm relieved since he didn't seem to like Brakston.

There's Lake Catherine. That's the one lake I am sure about. I know it's Catherine. Now, what is the name of that 3rd lake? What was that third sister's name? I really can't remember...Mary, Catherine, and somebody (not Sophie). Do you think there are bears up here?

Gorgeous fall foliage. Hard to believe that when I was up here a few weeks ago there were still lots of wildflowers in bloom. Seasons change fast at this altitude. Well, winter probably doesn't go fast. I need to forward the pictures I took of Todd and Jeff (when we were up here a few weeks ago) to their wives. They'd probably appreciate them. Really pretty fall foliage. I love saying that. Fall foliage. Fall foliage. Fall foliage. That has some nice alliteration. If a bear were up here, would it go for me or for the moose. The moose would be a familiar, normal meal but would the bear know I would be an easier target?

Oh, look, more fall foliage! There's those great words again. How come I keep thinking about fall foliage? Don't I have a talk to write, an activity to plan, a child I need to figure out? Don't I have some meaningful thoughts in me anywhere? Why are my thoughts jumping all over the place?

There is a fish in Lake Catherine. I can see it through the water. I wonder if it's possible to capture the image on my point and shoot camera. What is the name of that other lake? That is really bugging me? Wow, I can't wait to tell about my encounter with the moose. It was pretty intense.

There are holes in that rock? Why are there holes in that rock? What made those holes in that rock? They must be man-made. They are too perfect. Why would someone drill holes in a rock. Why three? Oh, more pretty fall foliage.

See what I mean? My thoughts skipped around as fast as my feet. This post almost wears me out just reading it.

I guess to have quiet contemplation, I require quiet feet.

1 comment:

  1. nature us so pretty. great pictures glad you make time to get out a see a visit nature.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete