Saturday, September 11, 2010

Homecoming royalty???

Well, that's yet to be seen but Alec has been nominated for the Riverton High Homecoming Royalty. That is pretty exciting news!

I called my mom to tell her and mentioned that Alec is like "Oh, wow, that's cool." and then he's just back to singing and talking to imaginary people. I told my mom, "He just doesn't get it." My mom said it's more exciting for the parents.

I thought about it and decided that is true. Maybe it is my validation that I didn't have a completely unloveable child. I definitely have had time to question that over the years. There is the heartbreak of Alec never getting invited to birthday parties in elementary school. There is all the years of Alec never being invited to anyone's home for a "play-date". There is the middle school suspensions (don't ask!). There is countless meetings with teachers where they tell you everything your child is doing wrong and everything they can't do while you just beg them to tell you ONE thing they like about your child.

So, I guess when a student body officer calls you on Friday morning to tell you your child is not only nominated for Homecoming Royalty but also received the most votes, it is okay for you to sit back and enjoy it for a moment.

(And then feel badly for all the parents who never get this kind of validation.)

1 comment: