Sunday, June 26, 2011

back from Pioneer Trek

Kevin, McKayla, and I spent the last 3 days re-enacting the Pioneer's journey to the Salt Lake Valley. Kevin drove a medical support vehicle but McKayla and I walked and pulled handcarts. We took part in Pioneer-type activities, sang, listened to speakers, had testimony meeting, and pushed and pulled.

We came home exhausted but it was an amazing experience! For both McKayla and I the highlight was the "Sweetwater Crossing". There was a bed of water that the young men carried every woman and girl across. Then those boys banded together to get every handcart across and up a very muddy, slippery trail. It honestly made me cry and I was so proud of those Young Men! I think they felt the same way watching us do the Women's Pull up a hill.

McKayla had the side of her foot run over by a handcart so it is bruised and tender. I developed blisters so badly the first day that I walked barefoot the last day. My feet are a little tender and the blisters are oozing. I can't get my contacts in because my eyes are so swollen and sore.

Still, it was such a wonderful experience that our minor injuries are nothing! Just think of what our pioneer ancestor's endured! I actually thought the walking was pretty easy but I'm sure I wouldn't have thought so if I had to do it for months and on as little food as the pioneers did. I'm so glad we got to experience this.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you had a great time on the Trek. Our trek is in July. Britni is pretty excited but after reading about your blisters and etc. she's not so sure. :)

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to hear more about your experiance. A anonymous teenage member of my home actually told me how neat the womens pull was. His family only had three girls, one of which had been sick most of the first day. He was amazed at what they were able to do. I had no idea they were going to walk so late into the night. neat neat neat
    Christine

    ReplyDelete