Thursday, April 18, 2013

God answers prayers

I have a firm testimony that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers. Still, it was wonderful to have this testimony confirmed in such a striking way. Almost 2 weeks ago McKayla and I flew to California (Los Angeles area) for a track meet. We fly standby but getting there was a breeze. Getting home turned out to be a different story. We showed up for our return flight home only to find that the flight had filled up and there were 13 other people on standby. When the flight was ready to leave, there was only one seat available. Luckily, we had the most seniority so I put McKayla on that flight and thought I'd catch the next one. By the time the next one came, it was oversold and the airline was paying people to go the following day. I began to get really nervous. I really needed to get home. I had just started this teaching gig and one of the things the principal had stressed was the students' need for consistency in a teacher (they'd been through a series of subs). I started looking at flights from other airports (there were 5 airports within about an hour's drive). Not a single airport had any available seats to SLC that day. I got more nervous. So, I started looking at non-direct flights. What if I flew to St. Louis and then back to SLC? Albequerque? Dallas? Chicago? Absolutely nothing. More nervous. I looked at other airlines (we can fly on a lot of them for pretty darn cheap). Nope. No seats. Zip. Nada. More nervous. I looked at the possibility of just renting a car and driving home. Not economically feasible. More nervous. In fact, about this time outright panic set in. I could just picture me calling Brad (the principal) on Monday morning telling him I wouldn't be in that day. I said a prayer. I explained the entire situation to my Heavenly Father and asked for help. I felt an immediate peace. I walked up to the ticket counter of my original airline and asked the agent if she had any suggestions for me. She started clicking away on her keyboard and said "No. You've tried everything and this last flight is completely sold out." Then she said, "Wait a minute. Someone just cancelled. There is now one seat available." She went on to warn me that someone could buy it or that someone with higher seniority could end up with the seat but I wasn't worried. I knew this was an answer to my prayer. I walked back up to the gate and read calmly until the flight boarded and I was given that ONE remaining seat. What a dramatic and immediate answer to prayer! I am so grateful to a loving Father in Heaven who watches over me and who cares about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment