Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Girls' Camp Highlights

I absolutely love girls' camp!  It is one of my most favorite things and sharing it with my daughters was wonderful!

We went to Heber Valley Camp which is really NOT camping but I still loved every minute.  I say it's not camping because there is cabins with bunks, a fridge, a pantry, showers, an ice machine, and a sink.  Not really roughing it.

We did the normal camp stuff - crafts, secret sisters, meals, hikes, service projects, etc.  We also got to do the challenge course which had several stations (the one I ran was a blind tag) and go out on the lake on canoes/pedal boats.  The camp had an abundance of deer and fawns which were a delight to see and watch.  I could not believe how close the deer let me get.  I also saw a moose.

My favorite camp moment:
I had just finished the high ropes course, which included a climb up a tall pole, a walk across the cable, and a ride down the zipline, when some of the girls from my ward came to take their turn.  One of the girls said she wasn't going to do it because it was too scary.  I asked her if she would please at least put on the harness and climb a few feet off the ground.  She agreed to do that much.  I talked to her a bit about my experience.  Then, when I was harnessing her up she said, "I'm going to go ahead and climb to the top."  I told her that was awesome and that she wouldn't even have to climb back down.  I explained that with the belay rope they could just lower her down whenever she wanted.  We talked a bit more and then she said, "I'm going to try to walk across the cable."  Again I told her how great I thought that was.  After telling her a bit more of my experience she said, "I'm going to do the whole thing!"  And she did.  Later, I talked to her about it and told her how proud I was of her.  I asked her if she'd learned anything and she said, "I learned I can do hard things."  I thought that was wonderful!  I want every young woman to learn that!

No comments:

Post a Comment