Sunday, March 20, 2011

kids and happiness

I read in the newspaper about several studies that prove children do NOT bring happiness to their parents.

hmmm....

Maybe I agree.

Not that I don't like my children. I love them - A LOT!

They bring a sense of completeness to my life. They enrich my life and give me experiences. They help me be less selfish and they teach me to love and serve. They bring me joy, stress, worry, fear, frustration, laughter, tears and so on but, no, I can't claim that adults with children are any happier than those without.

I do believe my life is more fulfilling and more challenging because of these young people who depend on me to one degree or another. I guess it's not my children's job to bring me happiness but I am grateful for my children and the emotions they do bring out in me.

1 comment:

  1. I read that article and thought it was interesting. Although they don't make you happier (maybe) they do add a lot and I would never want to not have them - I would guess the majority of parents feel this way. I agree life is more fulfilling. It brings risks - putting your heart on the line, knowing it may bring sorrows, but also great joys.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete