Wednesday, March 23, 2011

am I scary?

Last night was a combined YM/YW activity. I am beginning to really dread those because about half of the youth are totally out of control. Last month we were supposed to be playing volleyball but half the boys were playing basketball (in the middle of the game) and the girls were out in the halls.

Last night's activity was another fun one. We were watching "The Other Side of Heaven" and we even provided every youth with a water bottle and LOTS of treats. We told all the youth that they had to stay in the gym and that if they left, they were done.

Some of the leaders and I ended up having to spend the entire time guarding the doors, chasing kids, etc. I feel like a babysitter not a leader. We did take some youth home. It is so frustrating! So many of the youth seem to have no respect for leaders, for others' feelings, for church property, etc. We've tried meeting with the youth and the parents. We've tried all we can think of. We don't know what else to do.

I personally am to the point where I'd like us to cancel the combined activities. (I know that's not a great solution either). And, unfortunately, it's not just activities. Our last combined YM/YW lesson where the Bishop was teaching, the youth were sitting on the floor, getting up and leaving the meeting, turned around in their seats talking, and even getting up and walking across the room to talk to someone.

When I got home Kevin and I were discussing why there is such a lack of respect anymore. Kevin asked, "Why do our kids not seem to have this lack of respect?' I said, "I don't know." And then Kevin told me it's because I'm scary. The kids don't want to make me mad.

I'm glad our children are reasonably well-behaved but I'm not sure I like being scary. I know I am the tough parent with high expectations. I also know if I threaten them with something, I follow through. But scary? I don't want my kids to be scared of me. Truthfully, I think it's just Shanley that feels this way but still....

I'll say it once again, parenting is hard! Really hard.

I'm just doing the best I can.

1 comment:

  1. No you are not scary!! At least I don't think so. I have seen that lack of respect up here too but it's just with a few girls and boys who don't come very often. Our last combined with the YM we had a fun game of live fuse ball. But it always gets out of hand in the middle with someone ruining it for everyone. That's when we break for snacks and let them play whatever the rest of the time. I hope it gets better for you. You are a great leader!!!

    ReplyDelete