Saturday, June 15, 2013

where does it come from?

My children must have inherited recessive genes because I do NOT know where their speed comes from - certainly not from me.  I always joke that I have one speed and one speed only - SLOW.  It doesn't matter if I am running 1 mile or 26.2 - my speed is about the same.

Last night Chander ran in a track meet.  He took first in the 1600m with a time of  6:13.  He's 12 and not very tall and already running a 6:13.  The people in the stands around us were all commenting that he took off too fast because he already had a sizeable lead by the 150m mark but he kept the lead.  He never let anyone closer than 70m and he finished 100m before the next closest runner.

Then, this morning was cross-country time trials.  They ran a 5K and McKayla finished 5th.  Understand that is 5th overall not 5th out of girls.  She would have made the boys varsity!  Only 4 boys beat her and oneof those by only 6 seconds.  She ran the 5K is 17:51 and it is super early in the training season.

Shanley ran a 31:01 which I thought was pretty amazing considering how this was only the 5th day she has even ran.  She is still trying to build up her endurance.

So, this all begs the question, "Where do they get all that speed?"

No comments:

Post a Comment