Tuesday, February 5, 2013

knee-jerk reactions

Maybe it's just me but I feel that government has grown too big.  We have laws governing EVERYTHING!  If something bad happens, we pass a new law. If we have an obese nation, we pass laws.  Some laws are good but I am not always convinced that new laws are necessary every time something goes wrong.  In fact, I am not even convinced that some of those laws do anything to make us healthier, safer, or happier.

What brought on this rant you might ask?

I was reading the newspaper on Sunday and came across an article regarding how the airline industry (NTSB, FAA, etc) are dragging their feet on implementing new safety standards.  You see, there was a major airline accident four years ago that killed 46 people so the powers-that-be decided sweeping reforms were needed.

Did you catch that?  FOUR years ago!

While it is tragic that an accident occured and that innocent lives were lost, let's not lose sight of the fact that the airline industry hasn't experienced another loss like that in FOUR years!  I'd say that safety record is pretty dang good considering how many flights take off in our nation every single day.  Do we really need SWEEPING changes?

Yes, I am biased.  My husband is an airline pilot.  These changes could possibly affect him and his ability to provide for us.  Still, he has flown at least 10 flights per week for 12 years and has never had an accident (I wish I could say the same for my driving record).  I don't fear for his safety every time he leaves for work.  I know he is well-trained, experienced, and pretty darn-well regulated.  He must go through check rides every year and have his every move evaluated.  He also goes through training every year (refresher stuff and emergency drills like practicing flying a plane without an engine or that has stalled, or whatever).  He has to follow limits on the number of hours he can flyeach day, week, month and year.  and on and on and on.

With one major accident in 4 years, I feel much much safer in an airplane than I do on the highways every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment